Saturday, January 24, 2009
Member News: Katie Haegele, Bonnie MacAllister, Michelle Wilson
Time: February 1, 2009 from 2pm to 4pm
Location: Nexus Gallery
Organized By: Katie
On Sunday, Feb. 1, a diverse group of zine writers from Philadelphia will give a reading on the radio as part of the Nexus Gallery's analog radio experiment. For two months Nexus is broadcasting a low-powered radio station right from inside the gallery, and the producers have invited a variety of musicians, poets, and other performers to do live shows. Neat, right? Readers for the Philly Zine Ladies Performance Spectacular include:
* Katie, your host & the writer of The La-La Theory, a crackpot zine about language!
* the fabulous and exalted Rebekah Buchanan of Emma Goldman and Pony Express zines!
* veteran zine maker and podcaster Raequel Solomon!
* book artist and multilingual zinester Michelle Wilson (whose reading will be en espanol)!
* slam poetry champion Bonnie MacAllister!
* Mikkie McGregor and Ali Thompson of Best Available Productions, a comic and zine label and craft extravaganza!
* Mary Tasillo, the zinester and book artist behind Cake & Pie Press!
* and quite possibly a few others!
WHEN IS IT AGAIN?
It's on Sunday, February 1, from 2-4.
You can come and listen live, or you can hear it on the radio, if you live close enough. The event takes place at Nexus Gallery, 1400 N. American St., Philadelphia PA USA. The station is 1650 on your AM dial.
Bonnie MacAllister is a multimedia performance artist. She has performed at the New York Foundation of Arts and the Cat Cat Club in Paris, and her plays have been staged at the Shubin Theatre, Adrienne Theatre, and the Philadelphia Fringe Festival. Her artwork has been exhibited internationally including in Galeria 6 in Mexico, the Utopia Library in Italy, and the Delaware Art Museum. She curates the multimedia label Certain Circuits Media (www.certaincircuits.org) which is currently accepting submissions. Her twitter: @BonnieMacArt