January 5, 2014
L to R: Emily, Kristin, Eva, Cathy, Virginia, Teresa, Debbie, Barbara
We are so excited for the future of the chapter!
January 5, 2014. Meeting was held at the Philadelphia Museum of Art Cafeteria in the back room. Meeting began at 2PM.
● Virginia Maksymowicz email@example.com
● Kristin Osgood Lamelas 18563719133 firstname.lastname@example.org
● Teresa Unseld email@example.com
● Barbara Maxwell (firstname.lastname@example.org) 6099657630
● Debbie Miller 12023201770 email@example.com
● Cathy DeMarco 16092890689 firstname.lastname@example.org
● Emily Shnellbacher 13176253933 email@example.com
● Eva Preston 12154733815 firstname.lastname@example.org
ATTENTION EVERYONE! Listed below are the current WCA members (as of January 11,
Rosalind Bloom, Ellen Bonett, Cathy DeMarco, Pamela Flynn, Joanna Fulginiti, Kristin Lamelas, Clara Lewis, Jeanne Lombardo, Bonnie MacAllister, Elizabeth McCue, Virginia Maksymowicz, Eva Preston, Cherie Redlinger, Emily Shnellbacher, Elizabeth Sowell Zak, Teresa Unseld
If your name is NOT on this list, that means you are NOT a current 2014 member and you need to renew ASAP.
You must renew your membership to remain active.
Here’s a link to the 2014 application- or go online to join- http://www.nationalwca.org Just click on membership tab.
How to Stay Connected
Create a google account:
To create a new account: Go to https://accounts.google.com/SignUp
Google Drive Tutorial Video:
To access and edit WCA Philly folders on Google drive (please see all of our meeting notes here and add your biography to the Biography document and check out the other members here)
WCAPhilly Calendar: (Please add your events here so we can all see!)
● Review Minutes: Last meeting minutes are on Google Drive WCAPhilly,
● Introductions. Members were asked to bring a piece of work or a photo or web
link of your work to discuss. We want to get to know each other. We were able to
view some work, however without internet access we were unable to discuss
everyone’s. Virginia outlined a brief history of the Women’s Caucus, which was
an outgrowth of the CAA, and the Philadelphia Chapter which has been around
since the 1970s, including substantial activities (such as skills exchanges,
critiques, studio visits, tax workshop) and shows, ten years of the history is
documented on the blog.
● National: Virginia agreed to write the Chapter Report.
update: Virginia emailed election results to Karin at WCA National.
● History: Discussed possibility of obtaining annual reports from the National
Caucus to document the Philadelphia Chapter’s history, Teresa Unseld seems
interested in compiling this data. Teresa said there needs to be a mission
statement. Virginia has since posted our mission statement on the blog.
● Publicity/ Design: We proposed creating small simple handouts in the form of
business cards to promote the Caucus to nonmembers, Debbie Miller agreed to
● Social Media: Troubleshooting google docs this issue should be resolved. All
limitations have been removed. You should be able to save the WCAPhilly
folders to your own drive and edit there.
● Membership: Cathy DeMarco agreed to handle membership including updating
the mailchimp list with membership list and emailing welcome letters to new
members. Teresa Unseld offered to work with Cathy on Membership and create a
welcome packet and mail it out to new members.
● Venue or show idea/ leads. Discussed a 10x10 type Collaborative member
group show incorporating items from everyone’s studio practice into individual
pieces, ie: ten artists, ten pieces, each piece with objects or interpretations of
objects from each other artist’s practice. Members will bring in 10 or 12 of the
same object to the next meeting. Each member will create a work of art (no size
limitation) incorporating each of those items in some way. Work will be shown as
a group. Concerns were raised that there might not be enough work, so it was
suggested adding in an additional piece of work to mirror the piece you make for
the show. Virginia and Eva discussed possible West Philadelphia galleries,
however Pam Flynn offered the space at Holy Family College (I teach at Holy Family in NE Philly and direct our art galleryevery couple of years we have a wca exhibit at HFnext
A proposal will need to be written and presented to Pam.
● Administrative: Kristin agreed to send all the passwords and information everyone needs. Logo sent. Passwords sent. Currently revising welcome letter for Cathy and Teresa and compiling all of our contact info for Debbie.
Board Member Elections
● Chapter President Kristin Osgood Lamelas was nominated by Virginia, seconded by
Emily, final vote was unanimous .
● Vice President Eva Preston was nominated by Cathy, seconded by Kristin, final vote
● Treasurer Virginia Maksymowicz was nominated by Eva, seconded by Debbie, final
● Secretary Emily Schnellbacher was nominated by Kristin, seconded by Kathy, final vote
● Membership Cathy DeMarco and Teresa Unseld (we need to vote on this to make it
● Exhibition Chair open
● National Representative Virginia Maksymowicz agreed to represent our chapter at this
year’s convention in Chicago.
We discussed the need for new/ revised/ evolving positions. Everyone agreed. Possible positions:
● Graphic Designer Debbie Miller
● Chapter Historian Teresa Unseld
○ blog updates (should we open this to all members?)
○ Bonnie gave permission to Virginia, Kristin and the WCA google account to edit
the blog. Emily will be able to update the blog through WCA account with member show information. Laura PetrovichCheney and Bonnie MacAllister often post to the blog as well.
○ It would be great to connect the Google Calendar to the Blog and even FB so it’s
○ Also add Twitter and Facebook widgets that link to our pages.
○ Update FB page and add email@example.com. I just realized there are
2 WCA FB pages Phila Caucus and Women’s Caucus For Art Philadelphia
Chapter! We need to figure this out.
○ Private FB group for just us has been created
- ○ blog updates (should we open this to all members?)
- ● Graphic Designer Debbie Miller
Homework for Next Meeting
● Bring 1012 items from your studio practice to hand out to other members to make a
collaborative piece for the show.
● Bring a piece of your work or a photo or web link of your work to discuss. We want to get
to know each other.
Snacks were eaten, Gifts were exchanged, photos were taken. Eva Preston gave everyone a 2 million year old fossil that she got on a dumpster dive! She mentioned coordinating a meeting with the Dumpster Divers group possibly at Randy’s Blue Grotto and everyone like that idea.
Meeting concluded at 4:10 PM
Exciting Member News! (Congratulations ladies! You rock.)
Please sent exciting news, upcoming shows opportunities and exhibition details to Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org and add it to our Google Calendar and our FB page!
Want to check out the NYC chapter?
● From Cathy Demarco: One of my scarves made it into the Philadelphia City Hall show!
Art in City Hall Jan 8, 2014
● From Eva Preston
Happy New year ! I have been working hard with all these shows coming up!
● Art in City Hall Jan 8, 2014
● Philadelphia National Archives Jan 10, 2014
● Circus Terminal Worldwide New Zealand Feb 25, 2014
● April 1, 2014 Spring~ Haute Handbag Magazine ...3 Handbags
● April 24, 2014 WCA Half The Sky China
- ● Art in City Hall Jan 8, 2014
● From Laura Petrovich Cheney:
Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know about a great opportunity this January to try out some products from Liquitex. I am enclosing a brochure with more details for everyone. The AIR Gallery is located in the DUMBO section of Brooklyn so you can come early and check out some great galleries in the neighborhood.
Hope to see you there! Laura
● From Teresa Unseld
Hello All: I am a new member and I look fwd to meeting and working with all of you when the weather permits! I applaud each of you as empowered women and artists!
Next Sunday is booked as I am gallery sitting and have a Meet the Artist Event (me!) at Gallery 22. I am open for another Sunday. I am attaching info on my art exhibition openingI had hoped to share it with the group today. You are each invited next Friday the 13thJan the 5th at Gallery 22 on 22nd Street between Spruce and Locust
(next to Gusto's). Hope to see you, stay warm=)!
Teresa S. Unseld
Dates of Exhibition: December 13, 2013
to January 5, 2014
“Second Friday” December 13th, 69 pm
Meet the Artist: December 15th, Sun, 46 pm
Pipes, graphite collage, 18” x 24”
● From Bonnie MacAllister
I am so glad to see so many new names on the chapter list, including some I recognize from other encounters.
● I'll be showing next at the Painted Bride for First Friday at the "Four Corners"
show I'll also be performing two original pieces that night.
● My work is on display right now at the Transfer Station in Manyunk and will be
at the Culture Works for the holiday party for our members, the Greater
● I programmed a multimedia event on January 4 at the Rotunda (at the University
of Penn) for my own Certain Circuits (invitation attachedflier by Joanne Sherrow).
As a Past President, I am a resource for you even though I am no longer a board member.
● Joanna Fulginiti [email@example.com] Ragdoll
Project website. Funding issues $99/year vs.
● I believe Joann has decided to use WIX or
another paid subscription that she would pay for
herself to maintain. Any update on this Joann?
FYI: I received an email from Pam Flynn:
I teach at Holy Family in NE Philly and direct our art galleryevery couple of years we have a wca exhibit at HFnext academic year I could fit the WCA in if you have a proposal for a group showlet me know if you are interested.
Pam Flynn www.pamelaflynnart.com Thank you Pam!
Recruitment/ New Members
● FYI: An email I received from Teresa S. Unseld (firstname.lastname@example.org) She is interested in joining and attending future meetings
Yay! Welcome Teresa!
Teresa S. Unseld, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Art and Design Education Director, Masters in Art Education Program
University of the Arts
320 South Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102 215.717.6483 (P) 267.475.0928 (C) 215.717.6056 (F)