November 9, 2014
Laura Petrovich-Cheney: The Business of Art
Check out Laura's Blog here!
Studio Tour and Business of Art Tips and techniques.
How do you stay organized for shows?
1. Laura uses her iphone calendar, printed out calendars and a detailed calendar book to keep track of all of her personal and professional committments. She can see at a glance if she needs to carve out more studio time.
2. Laura keeps yearly binders with all of her show cards, catalogs, letters, press, etc. (learned this system from Alice Oh). She keeps everything in a box all year then reorganizes at the end of the year.
3. Laura maintains a long resume and a short resume (learned from Moe Brooker)
4. She has a binder system with tabs: Try Again (for shows and residencies), Residencies, Grants, Exhibitions, Waiting to hear, Show guidelines, Contracts, Commissions.
5. CFEVA, Noyes Signature artist and Vermont Studio Center were discussed
6. Laura Petrovich- Cheney hosts a blog where she reviews shows, maintains a website, she uses mail chimp to send out show announcements and also mails postcards.
7. Kristin Osgood Lamelas shared GYST- Get Your S*it Together, Adobe Creative Cloud- $20/ month for educators, she uses WIX for her website
What kind of space do you have?
Laura has a detached garage that was converted into her studio space. Kristin has half a bedroom, Dixie normally has a large space but is limited to one drafting table at the moment.
When do you work in your studio?
Karen Love Cooler marks her studio time in RED on her calendar and unless something will kill her unless she does it- she works in the studio. Laura carves out time on a daily basis and knows how much time is required for each size piece if she needs to produce work for a show.