Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Miriam Schapiro (1923-2015)

Member Laura Petrovich-Cheney passed on an email from Joyce Kozloff with these words: "I am writing with the sad news that Miriam Schapiro died last night [June 20], peacefully. I don't have any more information, except that she had been ill recently. There will be a memorial, but it has not yet been planned. Please help us to spread the word in the community."

I first met Mimi when I was a grad student at the University of California, San Diego. Her husband, Paul Brach, had been the founding chair of the Visual Arts Department. Although they had left by the time I arrived in 1974, their presence was still very much felt. Mimi had a show at UCSD's Mandeville Art Gallery in 1975, and as a grad assistant I worked with art historian Moira Roth on the exhibition catalogue: The Shrine, the Computer and the Dollhouse.

See "Remembering Miriam Schapiro"on Hyperallergic.com <http://hyperallergic.com/216461/remembering-miriam-schapiro-1923-2015/>


We will miss you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting. She was an amazing artist and an inspiration to many.