Monday, November 21, 2011
Call for 2012 Member Artists: WCA's 40th Anniversary Traveling Art Journal (deadline 1/31)
Calling all WCA Philadelphia artists!! We are off on the Little Red Traveling Journal project and seek artists who want to create a small piece of original art for the Journal.
This is a game that will send a little red journal on an expedition across the chapters to celebrate WCA’s 40th anniversary. Chapter-and at-large members have the opportunity to embellish the Moleskine journal pages with art and share their inspirations with a wide network of WCA members across the country. In January 2013, the book will travel back to its original location and be put up for auction during the WCA Conference in New York. One lucky bidder will own a fabulous collection of art created by WCA members all across the country!
We will have 31 pages for our work. Don’t miss a chance to participate in WCA’s 40th anniversary.
· Topic: open to your creative inspiration - 2012 is WCA's 40th anniversary celebration.
· You may create/submit 1 to 3 little pieces. If desired, more than one person can collaborate
on a piece. We want to be sure that we have space for as many chapter members as possible to include their work in the journal. If you submit more than one piece, please indicate your priority for including each piece in the journal. Work will be included in the journal on a first come – first served basis. Work that is not included will be returned to you.
· Your Artwork Size: No more than 4 inches high x 3 inches wide x 0.25 of an inch thick. Small is good! Your piece(s) must fit into a page of the journal so anything larger than the defined dimensions will be trimmed down. Please include your name, title of work, and medium with your work.
· Media: any original art – painting, collage, photo, fiber, drawing, printmaking, sculpture
(skinny), artist book (skinny), ceramics (very skinny), carved cardboard, calligraphy, mixed media.
· Deadline: Your piece(s) must be received at the address below by January 31, 2011.
· Mail to: Marilyn J. Hayes, 2525 N, Ridgeview Rd, Arlington, VA 22207; Attn: Little Red Journal
· Marilyn will carefully adhere your work to the journal pages.
· Documentation: Please send a 4” x6” 300 dpi image of the work to email@example.com, with artist name, title of work, medium, identified by 12/18/11. All submitted work will be documented on our WCADC blog online exhibit. The roadmap of the journal from chapter to chapter will be documented as well.
The game began in the Northern California chapter in October, 2011 and it traveling to the Washington, DC chapter before reaching us in Philadelphia. Will the journal make it from one chapter to the next? Will the post office deliver? Will the journal pages be filled by January, 2013? The Little Red Traveling Journal is a game of creativity, collaboration, and a gigantic leap of faith. Thanks to Priscilla Otani, WCA’s President Elect, for generating this fun game.
Bonnie MacAllister is a multimedia performance artist. She has performed at the New York Foundation of Arts and the Cat Cat Club in Paris, and her plays have been staged at the Shubin Theatre, Adrienne Theatre, and the Philadelphia Fringe Festival. Her artwork has been exhibited internationally including in Galeria 6 in Mexico, the Utopia Library in Italy, and the Delaware Art Museum. She curates the multimedia label Certain Circuits Media (www.certaincircuits.org) which is currently accepting submissions. Her twitter: @BonnieMacArt